New Game Network is looking for more staff writers to join the team.
We have been around since 2009, covered many major conventions (PAX, E3), game launches, appeared in game trailers, and so on. We are listed on Metacritic and OpenCritic. Our staff includes writers from Canada, USA, UK, and Australia, who have been with us for years and/or went on to write for outlets like GameSpot and IGN, or moved into game dev.
What we are looking for: We need game reviewers who cover either PC, PS4, or Xbox One (or perhaps Switch). You are not required to have prior experience or be a published writer – we will evaluate based on samples included.
Why work for us:
– Transparency: No empty promises about “future considerations”. If hired, you get all the benefits listed here from the first day. We are also up-front that only established staff members will be trusted with review copies.
– Relaxed terms: We assign work based on games you were already planning to get for yourself. We don’t force you to buy or play games you weren’t planning to. We only expect one review per 30 days, not 3-5 articles per week like other websites. You can do more, of course, if you wish.
– Payments: We pay $5 per review. We also provide review copies for established staff members. This may not seem like a ton – but steady pay is better than hoping your articles get a certain number of clicks, like other websites promise.
– No clickbait: Because we pay a set amount (instead of “sharing payments per 1k clicks like other sites), you don’t have to spam your writing with keywords or SEO to get search hits. We expect well-written and balanced reviews, not ones that will be popular or controversial.
– Exposure: See your articles syndicated with big aggregators (Metacritic, OpenCritic, GameRankings, Google News, NewsNow, others), in addition to being published on a site that is visited by tens of thousands unique visitors per month.
– Gain experience: All your work will be looked at by our editorial team and feedback provided, before publishing.
– All you need to do is play and write – we handle everything else. You don’t need to know code, HTML, WordPress, or anything else.
– Reviews are expected at least once every 30 days
– Reviews must be at least 1000 words
– Reviews must be of recently released retail/downloadable games. If you don’t play new releases on regular basis, please consider our expectations before applying.
– Ability to write in English at a post-secondary level.
Please send an application email to email@example.com – In your email, include your first name, country, age (must be 18+), and briefly why you’d like to join our team.
You must also include TWO sample reviews (CVs, resumes, etc. don’t count!). Sample reviews must be of any major retail game released in the past 6 months on PC or home consoles, at least 1000 words, with a final score out of 100 included. Either attach your samples to the email or link to a website where they are published.
We thank everyone for applying, but only selected applicants will be contacted.