Hiring a freelance game writer for your gaming website can be a challenging task. With hundreds of applications in your inbox, countless resumes to read and samples to peruse, you'll spend a lot of time and energy trying to find the right candidate. And if they don't work out, well, your time and effort was wasted.
Investing in finding talented freelance game writers will make your daily life easier and give your website a boost. In this post, we'll explore some tips and strategies for hiring the best freelance game journalists.
What to Look for When Hiring Freelance Game Journalists
While there's no one-size-fits-all set of qualities to make the perfect freelance game journalist for every publication, the following are a fantastic start. If a candidate meets these, put them at the top of the to-hire list!
- Passion for Gaming: Look for writers who are passionate about gaming and have a deep understanding of the industry. There's no substitute for long-standing knowledge about games and gaming culture. That passion will show through in the game journalist's writing, and your readers will love it.
- Writing Skills: At the end of the day, no amount of gaming chops are a substitute for actual writing ability. Look for writers who have a portfolio of work that demonstrates their ability to write high-quality, engaging content.
- Knowledge of SEO: Search engine optimization (SEO) is critical for driving traffic to your website. The best writers already know a little bit about SEO and can effortlessly apply its principles to every article they create. You won't even have to provide keywords or advice; just let them do their thing.
- Industry Connections: This one's not necessary, but it's a nice bonus. Writers who have been plugged into the scene for some time are more likely to know people in and around the industry. This can make it easy to land interviews or connect with new prospects. At the very least, it shows the writer is passionate about gaming.
- Reliability and Professionalism: The best writers and most passionate gamers aren't worth their salt if their articles are always late. Look for writers who are reliable, professional, and able to meet deadlines. You don't want to spend your time chasing them down for every review or news article.
How to Hire Better Freelance Game Journalists
You've got an idea of what you're looking for, but how do you find these rare game journalists? The answer, surprisingly, could be right in front of you, you just have to make sure you aren't overlooking them. Here are a few tips to help you hire better freelance game journalists:
- Clearly Define Your Needs: Before posting a job listing, take the time to clearly define your needs and expectations. What types of content do you want the writer to produce? What is your budget? What are your deadlines? By providing clear guidelines upfront, you'll automatically attract writers who are a better fit for your website.
- Look Beyond Price: While price is undoubtedly an important factor to consider, it shouldn't be the only one. Don't be tempted to hire the cheapest writer you can find, as this can often result in lower-quality content that doesn't resonate with your audience. Instead, focus on finding writers who offer a fair price for their level of expertise and experience.
- Check Writing Samples: Always ask writers for writing samples or a portfolio of their work. This allows you to evaluate the quality of their writing and ensure that their style aligns with your website's tone and voice. And yes, actually read the samples!
- Conduct Interviews: If time allows, conduct voice interviews with writers before hiring. This allows you to get a better sense of their personality, communication skills, and work style, all of which can be important factors in building a successful working relationship. It'll also help you build a better connection with a potential writer. Even just a 20 minute chat will work wonders.
Hire a game journalist today!
Hiring the right freelance game journalist for your website is crucial to your success. By taking the time to clearly define your needs, looking beyond price, prioritizing quality over quantity, and investing in writers who are passionate and talented, your gaming website can reach new heights of success and engagement.
Ready to get started? Post a job right here on VGJobs, the game journalism world's oldest job board dedicated exclusively to freelance game writing. Your job opening will reach thousands of career journalists who are ready to work!